Do you need a simple side dish to take to a family gathering, or just for any dinner? Try these maple carrots. They are sweet from the maple, but still have a little bit of tang from the lemon juice and pepper. These almost remind me of sweet potatoes in their texture. One of the best parts about this recipe is that it is cheap, even with the maple syrup. Carrots are an inexpensive vegetable, so this makes this recipe the perfect side dish when you are serving more expensive dishes. If you want this recipe to be even cheaper, you could nix the maple syrup and add 1-2 tbsp of brown sugar or granulated sugar. It won’t have the maple flavor, but it will still be delicious
*Costs listed are my personal costs, they will differ upon availability, location, brands, and sales.
Vegan Maple Glazed Carrots
- 10 large carrots, sliced $2.50
- 1 tbsp vegan butter $0.40
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup $0.66
- 1 tbsp lemon juice $0.08
- Salt and peper to taste $0.10
Total Cost: $3.74
Cost per serving $0.94
- Add the vegan butter to a pan on medium heat.
- Add the carrots and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the water, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. You want a fork to easily pierce the carrots, or you could leave them a little crunchy if you’d like.
- It’s ready to serve, you can even add a little drizzle of maple syrup on top for extra sweetness.
If you end up making this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nittygrittyvegan