This recipe is inspired by a dessert that my mom has been making for years. I never really cared for it, but my tastes have changed, and now I love it. I altered the recipe a bit to make a twist on the original. The combination of apples and cranberries is the perfect taste for Fall and Winter and the oat topping is like having a giant oatmeal cookie. You can make this recipe without any whipped topping if you want. I would actually suggest nixing the whipped topping and using vegan vanilla ice cream. But, vegan ice cream isn’t available everywhere, so I thought that I could make a whipped topping. If you aren’t able to find the Thai Kitchen Coconut Cream, buy it here.
*Costs listed are my personal costs, they will differ upon availability, location, brands, and sales.
Vegan Cranberry Apple Crumble
- 3 1/4 cup of 12 oz bag fresh cranberries $3.00
- 5 cups chopped apples $3.00
- 1 cup granulated sugar $0.30
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon $0.15
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar $0.30
- 1/3 cup flour $0.05
- 1/2 cup vegan butter $0.95
- 1 cup pecans $2.50
- 1 1/2 cup old-fashion oats $0.72
Total Cost: $10.97
Cost per serving: $1.22
Vegan Whipped Cream
- 13.66 oz can coconut cream, chilled at least overnight (Thai Kitchen Coconut Cream is my favorite) $3.20
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar $0.25
Total cost with cream: $14.42
Cost per serving with cream: $1.60
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar, then toss it with the cranberries and apples in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Add the butter and mix until combined.
- Stir in the pecans and oats to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Lightly grease a a 9×9 or a 9×12 baking dish. This just depends if you want a thick or thin, both should work. But, the smaller pan will be very full.
- Put the filling into the dish and “sprinkle” the topping on top. The topping will be more of a dough like texture, so you aren’t necessarily sprinkling it, but you do want it to be spread even on top.
- Bake at 400° F for 30-35 minutes.
- You can either serve the crumble with vegan whipped cream, vegan vanilla ice cream, or serve as is.
If you end up making this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nittygrittyvegan