One day I was watching a travel cooking show, and it featured a Chicken and Waffles recipe that sounded delicious. Maple butter syrup, a spicy honey drizzle, and a crispy sugar coating on the waffles. I thought it sounded amazing and wanted to make a vegan version for everyone to try, including myself. The sprinkled sugar creates a crispy waffle and the combo of the sweet maple and spicy “honey” is delicious. I had never had Chicken & Waffles before, but I see why people like it. It’s the amazing combo of sweet and savory at its best. I do not like frying foods, I’m too impatient for it. So, you can can obviously try making your own vegan fried Chick’n. I, however, took the lazy way out for that aspect by using store bought vegan chick’n strips. But, I did share some recipes below in the instruction list that look incredible. There’s one made with store bought vegan chick’n, but uses a recipe to fry it. There is also a recipe made with tofu and one with cauliflower. So, no matter what you choose, I hope you enjoy it.
*Costs listed are my personal costs, they will differ upon availability, location, brands, and sales.
Vegan Chicken & Waffles
- 3 cups all-purpose flour $0.30
- 3 tbsp baking powder $0.45
- 1/4 tsp salt $0.05
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for topping** $0.15
- 1/3 cup lemon juice $0.99
- zest of lemon if desired
- 2 tsp vanilla extract $1.20
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil $0.13
- 2 cups water
- 1 pack of Gardein Chick’n Strips or desired vegan Chick’n product* $4.79
- chopped green onion for topping $0.50
Maple Butter Syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan butter $0.65
- 1/4 cup maple syrup $1.50
Spicy “Honey” Drizzle
- 3 tbsp light agave nectar $0.75
- 1 tbsp red chili paste or sriracha $0.05
Total Cost: $11.51
Cost per serving: $2.88-$2.30
- Cook your vegan Chick’n following package directions. *I am not a fan of frying foods as a task, so here are some recipes to make your own vegan chicken that I hope would be delicious. Crispy Spicy Popeye’s Chicken Style Vegan Fried Chicken, Southern Fried Tofu and Spicy Fried Cauliflower.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the dry waffle ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk the wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Preheat your waffle iron while the batter its for a few minutes. I used a medium heat setting, but every waffle iron will be a little different.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into your waffle iron. Your iron may take more or less, but don’t overfill. **Sprinkle a little granulated sugar over the batter in the iron before closing the iron.
- Again, each iron will differ, but cook each waffle for about 5-7 minutes on each side. I was using a Belgian waffle iron, which is thick. So, a thinner waffle iron may not take as long. Cooking with your waffle iron will take a little bit of trial and error.
- While your waffles are cooking, make your Maple Butter Syrup and Spicy “Honey” Drizzle if desired.
- For the Maple Butter Syrup, heat the ingredients over medium heat in a skillet until melted and combined, about 2 minutes.
- For the Spicy “Honey” Drizzle, just combine the ingredients and it’s ready to go.
- Assemble your meal with one waffle and a couple vegan Chick’n strips. Sprinkle with desired amount of green onions and the Maple Butter Syrup and Spicy “Honey” Drizzle.
If you end up making this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nittygrittyvegan