Oddly enough, one of the things I missed most when I went vegan was biscuits. But lucky for me, it’s actually pretty easy to make vegan biscuits. The biscuits aren’t healthy, but neither are traditional biscuits, so it’s even! The secret to achieving the “buttermilk” flavor is apple-cider vinegar, it works perfectly.
- 6 tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) *plus more for brushing on top of finished biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I use almond milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar, stir, and place in the fridge.
- Cut the vegan butter into small pieces and freeze for at least 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold butter to the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Use either a pastry cutter or 2 forks to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. You want the butter to be in tiny pieces and mixed throughout.
- Add the vegan buttermilk to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. The dough should be sticky, but if it is too sticky, add some extra flour.
- On a floured surface, slightly flatten the dough. Fold the dough into itself 5-7 times, then flatten into a 1 inch thick disk.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits from the dough and place on either a silicone baking mat or parchment paper on a baking sheet. You want the biscuits to be close together on the sheet when cooking. The leftover scraps can be combined and cut again.
- Place the sheet of biscuits in the 450°F oven for 12-15 minutes, or until browned.
- After removing the biscuits from the oven, brush the tops with melted vegan butter. Enjoy!