*Costs listed are my personal costs, they will differ upon availability, location, brands, and sales.
**If you can’t find vegan eggnog around you to put in the cake, it is still perfectly delicious using almond milk as the liquid.
Vegan Eggnog Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
Cake Ingredients (for 2 layers or 24 cupcakes)
- 3 1/2 All-purpose flour $0.26
- 2 cup granulated sugar $0.60
- 1 tsp salt $0.10
- 2 tsp baking soda $0.10
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp nutmeg $1.00
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil $0.25
- 2 cup vegan eggnog $0.80 (or almond milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract $1.10
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar) $0.04
Cost of cake: $4.25
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese (I used Tofutti) $3.50
- 1 1/4 cups vegan butter (I used Earth Balance) $3.20
- 4 cups powdered sugar $0.70
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon $0.05
- 1 tsp vanilla extract $0.55
Cost of icing: $8.00
Total cost of cake: $12.25
Cost per serving: $0.51
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease your cake or cupcake pans.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk to make sure everything is combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all of the wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and pour the batter into your prepared pans.
- If you are making cake layers, bake for approximately 35 minutes. If you are making cupcakes, bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly.
- For the icing, cream the vegan butter and cream cheese together for 2 minutes using an electric beater. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing between additions until incorporated. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and beat until the icing is fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Decorate your cake/cupcakes as desired and serve. If you level your cake layers and have scraps left over, you can mix it with your leftover icing and make cake-pops. Imagine this dipped in chocolate, it would be amazing! Get creative! Or not.
If you end up making this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nittygrittyvegan