*Costs listed are my personal costs, they will differ upon availability, location, brands, and sales.
Vegan Mac & Cheese
- 12 oz package elbow pasta $1.25
- 1 cup unsweetened & unflavored plant-based milk $0.40
- 1 tbsp cornstarch $0.06
- 1 cup vegan cheese (I have used Daiya and Follow Your Heart, FYH is the best) $2.35
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese (I used Tofutti) $0.87
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste $0.05
- 1 tsp vegan butter $0.10
Total Cost: $5.08
Cost per serving: $0.85
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the milk and the cornstarch over medium heat in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the two vegan cheeses, salt, and butter. Whisk over medium heat continuously until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cheese sauce is completely smooth, combine it with the cooked pasta until it is completely coated. It’s ready to eat!
If you end up making this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nittygrittyvegan